This summer take your ice cream to the next level by creating your own ice cream cakes and sandwiches. Experiment with different toppings or create your own ice cream flavours with some delicious additions.
If you love ice cream, you’ve probably already experimented with different toppings. If you haven’t, we’ve got some delicious ideas.
Ice cream and chocolate or strawberry sauce is tasty, but have you tried adding strawberry or raspberry jam over a bowl of vanilla ice cream? What about melted peanut butter? When you melt peanut butter and add a touch of coconut oil you can create a shell that’ll harden when poured over ice cream. Other delicious toppings include:
- Ritz crackers
- Toasted Marshmallows
- Chocolate or plain pretzels
- Any type of cereal (Trix, Golden Grahams, Lucky Charms, or Fruity Pebbles).
- Honey roasted Peanuts
- Fresh fruit
- Crumbled donuts, muffins, or birthday cake.
You can make your own ice cream without a machine, or simply create new flavours by adding ingredients to store bought ice cream. Just let your ice cream tub sit out until it is soft enough to stir, then mix in different combinations of yummy treats, and refreeze. Your options are only limited to your imagination. Not sure what to add? Try these suggestions:
- Peanut butter filled pretzels and chocolate chunks
- Banana pieces, chocolate-hazelnut spread, and corn flakes.
- Brownie chunks and caramel popcorn
- Cheddar crackers and apple pie filling
- Oatmeal cookies and blueberries
- Chocolate Malt Balls and thick cut potato chips
- Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Fudge
And if you want to turn your store bought ice cream tubs into ice cream cake, it’s easier than you think. Pick your ice cream flavours and a cookie that’ll complement the ice cream. You’ll also need a cake pan and plastic wrap. Make a layer of cookies on the bottom of a cake pan. Then add your ice cream and a middle layer if desired. A layer of ice cream sandwiches adds texture and flavour. When done, freeze for 2 hours or overnight. Then use your plastic wrap to remove the cake from the pan, slice, and enjoy.